Tuesday, October 21, 2008

New Life

We've been here a month! I now have a sense of my new life, and feel that I can distill it in a blog post.

I start most days having coffee in our breakfast nook. Often, Shilpi is there, and we chat:



Then I go up to the Jamglue Lair:






Sometimes, I go outside and stare at our house, because I am enamored with it:



Then I cook food in this amazingly huge kitchen:





Using ingredients that I get to store in this luxurious pantry:



Once, we had people over for a BBQ in our backyard, which feels like the wilderness because the trees are enormous and dense:





I also get to bask in the glow of old friends and family; we have seen Gautam's parents at least once a week, and I've seen my mom twice (and dad once ) in the month that we've been here. And all our friends in DC have been warm, welcoming, fun and fantastic. And I've started making new friends too!

I've also gone to two shows at the 9:30 Club and I am in love with it.

And now the bittersweet:

Everytime I think about my Seattle friends, I feel both extra-warm, and like I'm going to throw up. I spent my entire adult life so far in Seattle, and I am so proud of the person I have become as a result of all the relationships and experiences I had over the past 6 years (that's should be taken as a compliment to the influencers, not just conceit!). I miss you guys so much...

6 comments:

steve goodman said...

nice pad!

SEM said...

At GU you knew kids were "into music" if they were going to shows at the 9:30 club. Because if it wasn't in Georgetown (and not even in NW DC!) that was a BIG deal.

The General said...

Wow. This is the first time I've felt jealous of someones house... since moving into our new house. It's looks amazing!

Glad you both are doing well.

Laura said...

What have you seen at the 9:30 so far? I love that club. I can actually see the artist on stage, and have fond memories of smuggling beer bottles in my purse and seeing Andrew Bird so close I could touch him. Do go to the Black Cat sometime, just for the novelty of it. Plus shows there are so cheapppp.

The house does look nice. But it's still in Maryland, so I have no choice but to give it, oh, maybe...a 7/10? I'll re-think that once I've been there. Maybe...

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous house! I'm glad you guys are settling into and enjoying the new life at the new place. It must be nice to be so near family.

Sarah said...

Wow--your place looks awesome, and I'm so glad you're happy with the new home/locale/move.

It was great to see you guys so soon after your cross-country trek! It's extra-great to know things are good.